Elite Scholars of China (ESC) is looking for Educational Consultants to join our team!
ESC helps China’s most motivated students gain admission to and succeed at America’s best colleges.
What You’ll be Doing
Consultants for Junior Scholars mentor, teach, and inspire our students in grades nine through eleven, helping them develop their extracurricular activities and academic interests, plan for standardized test preparation, and develop skills for personal goal setting and achievement. You will also be actively involved in curriculum development and classroom teaching focused on developing students’ literacy and critical thinking.
Consultants for Senior Scholars are paired with students in grade twelve, guiding them through the American college application process. You will work one-on-one with students to help them identify and achieve their educational aspirations by brainstorming essay ideas, developing their writing ability, practicing interview skills, and providing advice regarding their college lists. Both roles work in our Beijing office.
At ESC, Educational Consultants play an integral role in developing and improving the organization. Consultants focus on projects, such as marketing, curriculum development, or data management, that utilize their special talents or stretch them in new ways.
The Educational Consultant position is a two-year commitment with possibility of extension. This enables you to grow professionally and benefit from the intensive training and professional investment that ESC makes in team members. Both positions work out of our Beijing office.
What You Bring to the Table
For both the Consultant for Junior Scholars and the Consultant for Senior Scholars, ESC looks for people who are….
- Passionate about the transformative potential of American higher education.
- Understand the value of one-on-one mentorship.
- Graduates (BA or MA) of a top American college/university.
- Excellent written and oral communicators.
- Self-motivated, supremely organized and take pride in meeting deadlines.
- Committed to upholding the values and high ethical standards of ESC.
- Excited about working in dynamic, collaborative, and innovative environments
You would be a great Consultant for Junior Scholars if you…
- Are excited about working with students for a longer period of time and being a mentor and support system for them throughout much of their high school career (in many cases, JS consultants work with students for 1.5-2 years).
- Want to help students grow as individuals, explore their academic interests, get involved at school, find leadership roles, and practice self-reflection.
- Have a background or interest in curriculum development and would be excited about creating and leading workshops on a variety of topics for students.
- Want to ensure students are prepared for the application process by helping them create well-thought out testing plans, begin school research, prepare a resume, and practice articulating their ideas in writing and conversation.
You would be a great Consultant for Seniors Scholars if you…
- Have a passion for writing and are a clear and constructive editor of others’ work.
- Want to use data and other ESC resources to help students make informed decisions about which schools to apply to and when (Early Decision vs. Regular Decision).
- Are cool under pressure and can be a source of professional and personal support for students during a stressful and high stakes period of their lives.
What We Offer
First and foremost, we offer the opportunity to have a profound impact on someone’s life! We also offer a competitive salary and a range of benefits including subsidized health insurance, a gym membership, and other wellness programs. Customized leadership development workshops and professional mentoring are also a part of our culture. For team members moving to Beijing, ESC arranges and pays for a Chinese visa and travel to China. ESC also offers the assistance of a Relocation Coordinator to help with finding apartments. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Who We Are
ESC is the premier education consulting company in China and aims to educate China’s top high school students about their undergraduate options in the United States. ESC offers high-quality college-counseling services, US college tours and educational workshops to China’s academically accomplished high school students.
ESC students have been admitted to every top American college and university, such as: Amherst, Brown, Caltech, Carleton, Colby, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Duke, Emory, Harvard, Haverford, Middlebury, Northwestern, Penn, Princeton, Pomona, Stanford, Tufts, UChicago, UC Berkeley, Vassar, Wellesley, Wesleyan, Williams and Yale.
ESC was co-founded in 2010 and is managed by Stacy Palestrant (BA, Wellesley & MBA, University of Chicago Booth) and Tomer Rothschild (BA, Wesleyan & MBA, University of Pennsylvania Wharton).
Who You’ll be Working With
At ESC, our consultants bring a variety of educational, cultural, and professional experience to our team. They have majored in English, political science, philosophy, economics, sociology, education, math, history, and more. Those who have professional experience prior to joining ESC have been teachers, paralegals, investment banking analysts, academic researchers, and student affairs coordinators. The diversity of viewpoints, education, and experience that our consultants bring enriches our community and improves the quality of our work.
We prioritize the professional growth of our consultants. We craft opportunities for them to be challenged and to develop expertise in roles such as team leaders and project managers. After their tenure at ESC, consultants have gone on to pursue a variety of endeavors, including:
- Policy analyst at a think tank in Washington, D.C.
- Principal at an international school in Hangzhou
- Management consultant at a NYC firm
- Graduate programs at Harvard Business School, Yale Law School, University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education, Teachers College Columbia University, and Hopkins-Nanjing Center for Chinese and American Studies
Why You Will Love Beijing
ESC is headquartered in the Chaoyang District of Beijing, China. We are located next door to the embassies of the United States of America, Slovenia, Trinidad and Tobago, Panama, and South Korea, and more! We are also within walking distance to the beautiful Liangmaqiao canal and Chaoyang Park, five subway stops away from the city’s buzzing central business district, and a 10-minute drive to Sanlitun, the city’s most popular shopping, dining, and entertainment area. Within a 10-minute walk from ESC you can sip a latte at one of four Starbucks, savor amazing dumplings, or indulge in Beijing’s best pizza, and later work out in a gym or yoga studio.
There are a lot of perks to living in an international hub like Beijing! Our consultants take advantage of opportunities to attend literary and art festivals and multicultural forums, join ultimate teams or run in 5K’s and, of course, hike the Great Wall!
Why You Will Love Our Community
We make Beijing our home-away-from-home. At ESC we celebrate birthdays and Thanksgiving together. We have an annual fall retreat in the shadow of the Great Wall and enjoy Christmas brunch at a beautiful hotel. Consultants become good friends and travel together all over Asia including Thailand, Korea, Singapore, and Vietnam. We take pride in creating a warm, inclusive community that fosters long-lasting friendships and life-changing experiences.
To Learn More about ESC!
- This video, in which consultants share their experiences
- This video, in which one of our co-founders talks about ESC’s work and mission
- This video, which features a few of our wonderful students
- Our blog details some of the work that we do beyond pure college counseling, including the college prep program that we run for students in their senior spring (here)
- Find us on Instagram at Elitescholarsofchina
There are three major application deadlines: December 15, 2019, March 15, 2020, and May 20, 2020. A high volume of candidates apply for a limited number of spaces; due to the selectivity of the position, early application is encouraged.
Successful candidates will complete a three-round interview process and a written assignment between the second and third interviews. The process takes approximately 3-4 weeks.
Please send your cover letter, resume (GPA included), and transcript through your school’s career portal (e.g. Handshake) or send your materials and questions to Emma Schoenberger at email@example.com
Please note: ESC recruitment team members will use the interview process to assess which role (Consultant for Junior Scholars or Consultant for Senior Scholars) is the best fit for you based on your experiences and skill-sets. If you are particularly interested in one role, please indicate that in your cover letter. This does not affect the application process or eliminate the possibility of you being considered for the other position; it simply gives you the chance to state your preference early on.